Several alumni and friends have issued challenge and participation matches for the 24-hour online fundraising effort designed to raise dollars for the University’s greatest priorities and opportunities, as well as scholarships and unrestricted funds at both the University and unit specific level. This includes WVU Health Sciences and the WVU regional campuses. Among them:
University-wide Matching Gift Opportunities
- The first $50,000 raised during Day of Giving will be matched dollar-for-dollar for an extra $50,000.
- 1,000 Mountaineers for $100,000 – The first 1,000 gifts of $100 or more will be matched up to $100 each.
- Donations made to any Greatest Needs Fund on Day of Giving will be matched dollar-for-dollar up to a total of $25,000.
- Donations made to general scholarship funds on Day of Giving will be matched up to a total of $18,000.
- WVU Faculty and Staff Match: Gifts made by WVU faculty and staff will be matched dollar-for-dollar up to a total of $25,000 by members of the WVU Board of Governors and WVU Foundation Board of Directors.
- First Time Donor Match: The first $10,000 raised from first time donors during Day of Giving will be matched dollar-for-dollar.
University-wide Participation Challenges
- Social Media Challenge: If 1,000 people share of a photo of themselves on social media with the Flying WV logo, it will unlock an additional gift of $20,000. Use #WVUDayofGiving with your photo.
- Lunch Hour Challenge (Noon – 1 p.m. EST) – The participating group that receives the most donations during the Lunch Hour Challenge will receive an extra $2,500 for its Greatest Needs Fund.
- Happy Hour Challenge (5:30 – 6:30 p.m. EST) – The participating group that receives the most donations during the Happy Hour Challenge will receive an extra $2,500 for its Greatest Needs Fund.
- Night Owl Challenge (9 – 10 p.m. EST) – The participating group that receives the most donations during the Night Owl Challenge will receive an extra $2,500 for its Greatest Needs Fund.
- A generous donor has agreed to contribute $2,500 to the top three student organizations that receive the most donations on Day of Giving.
Beyond the University-wide special initiatives, many individual colleges and schools, including WVU Health Sciences, also have various matching gift opportunities and participation challenges. Donors are encouraged to check out the “Challenges” tab at the top of the WVU Day of Giving web site.
Students, faculty and staff also will have the opportunity to participate in WVU Day of Giving with events planned on the Morgantown campus on Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The Market at WVU Health Sciences and from 1 - 3 p.m. at the Mountainlair. The events will include the opportunity for people to make a gift on the spot.
During the first two years of WVU Day of Giving combined, more than $9 million was raised.
“We are really looking forward to another successful WVU Day of Giving,” said Mary Esposito, who is heading up the effort for the WVU Foundation. “We encourage everyone to make a gift, large or small. Every donation is important.”
CONTACT: Mary Esposito
Director of Annual Giving
Call 1.855.WVU.NEWS for the latest West Virginia University news and information from WVUToday.
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.