WHAT: State of the Girl, a panel of women professionals discussing the landmark study conducted by the Girl Scouts of the USA.
WHEN: Monday, June 18, 2018 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
WHERE: WVU College of Law Event Center, 101 Law School Dr. Morgantown, WV 26506
Participating panelists will include:
- • Beth Casey, (moderator) Chief Executive of the Girl Scouts of the Black Diamond Council
- • Arria Hines, CEO of Allegheny Science and Technology
- • Nicole Izzo-Brown, Head Coach of the WVU Women’s Soccer Team
- • Dr. Jennifer Knight, Associate Professor of Trauma Surgery at WVU
- • Joyce McConnell, (moderator) Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at WVU
- • Meshea Poore, Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at WVU
- • Dr. Carrie White, Director of LaunchLab at WVU
The Girl Scouts of the Black Diamond Council, in partnership with West Virginia University, will host the event. The study is the first research report to focus specifically on girls' health and well-being in the United States. The expert panel and table conversations will focus on the results of this study and act as a call for action to improve the lives of girls in West Virginia.
This goal is in line with the overall mission of West Virginia Forward, a new collaborative initiative of WVU, Marshall University and the West Virginia Department of Commerce. This effort to strengthen and diversify all regions of the state is focused on, among other things, educational opportunities, community development and the next generation of our workforce. All these things are key to the future of West Virginia—and to the future of our girls.
**Members of the media are invited to participate in the entire event, including as members of the audience of the panel discussion and participants in the luncheon table conversations. Any interested individuals should RSVP by Wednesday June 13 to Ann Claycomb at Ann.Claycomb@mail.wvu.edu or 304.293.9919.
The panelists and moderators will also be available for brief media interviews at noon, per Ann Claycomb, who will be present onsite at the event.