The suspect, described as a shirtless Black man wearing khaki pants, was last seen on Fife Street.
Morgantown Police joined UPD in responding to the report as the public was asked to avoid the area. Officers canvassed the neighborhood but by 9:30 p.m. had not located a suspect and issued an Alert that it was safe to return to the area.
WVU students, employees and the general public are encouraged to remain vigilant.
Anyone with information that may assist in the investigation is asked to contact University Police at 304-293-3136.
Safety Tips and Resources:
- Anyone who believes they are in danger should immediately call 911.
- If you witness a potentially dangerous situation or a crime, call 911 or UPD at 304-293-3136.
- Download WVU’s LiveSafe app.
- If you encounter an emergency situation on campus, utilize the blue light emergency call system if available.
- Visit safety.wvu.edu for additional resources and information.
- Learn more about WVU’s emergency Alert messaging system.
- In addition to the WVU Alert system, emergency messages are posted to the @WVUalert Twitter and WVU Safety and Wellness Facebook page. Students and employees are encouraged to follow these social media accounts, as well as the @WVUsafety Twitter, to get updates about incidents.
CONTACT: April Kaull, Executive Director of Communications
Call 1-855-WVU-NEWS for the latest West Virginia University news and information from WVUToday.
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.