Several alumni and friends have issued challenge and participation matches for the 24-hour online fundraising effort designed to raise dollars for the University’s greatest priorities and opportunities, as well as scholarships and unrestricted funds at both the University and unit specific level. This includes WVU Health Sciences and the WVU regional campuses. Among them:
University-wide matching gift opportunities
• The first $50,000 raised during Day of Giving will be matched dollar-for-dollar for an extra $50K.
• The first 1,000 gifts of $100 or more will be matched up to $100 each for an extra $100,000. The $100 match to each gift will be made once the challenge is met.
• Donations made to any Greatest Needs Fund on Day of Giving will be matched dollar-for-dollar up to a total of $25,000 by Frank and Jayna Alderman.
• Pat and Alison Deem will generously match donations made to general scholarship funds on Day of Giving up to a total of $25,000.
• WVU Faculty and Staff Match: Gifts made by WVU faculty and staff will be matched dollar-for-dollar up to a total of $10,000.
University-wide participation challenges
• Mountaineer Photo Challenge: If 2,000 WVU alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends share their favorite photos with the WVU Mountaineer (from any year) on social media, alumni Mike Escue and Alexis Pugh will generously donate an additional $20,000 to benefit WVU students. Use #WVUDayofGiving with your photo.
• Lunch Time Challenge (Noon – 1 p.m. EST): The participating group that receives the most donations during the Lunch Time Challenge will receive an extra $2,500 for its Greatest Needs Fund.
• 2 p.m. EST Challenge: The next $10,000 in donations made by first time donors will be matched dollar-for-dollar.
• 4 p.m. EST Challenge: The next $10,000 in donations made by recent graduates will be matched dollar-for-dollar.
• Happy Hour Challenge (5:30 - 6:30 p.m. EST): The participating group that receives the most donations during the Happy Hour Challenge will receive an extra $2,500 for its Greatest Needs Fund.
• Night Owl Challenge (9-10 p.m. EST): The participating group that receives the most donations during the Night Owl Challenge will receive an extra $2,500 for its Greatest Needs Fund.
Beyond the University-wide special initiatives, many individual colleges and schools, including WVU Health Sciences, also have various matching gift opportunities and participation challenges. Donors are encouraged to check out the “Challenges” tab at the top of the WVU Day of Giving web site.
Students, faculty and staff also will have the opportunity to participate in WVU Day of Giving with events planned across the Morgantown campus on Wednesday from 11 a.m. -1:30 p.m. at the Mountainlair, Evansdale Crossing and the Health Sciences Center pylons area. The events will include the opportunity for people to make a gift on the spot and sign donor thank you cards.
A special Day of Giving event also is being planned by WVU Tech in Beckley at the Chick-fil-a on Eisenhower Driver from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
“We are really looking forward to another successful WVU Day of Giving,” said Mary Esposito, who is heading up the effort for the WVU Foundation. “Last year, we raised almost $3 million in one day. I’m confident Mountaineer Nation will come together and top that figure. We encourage everyone to make a gift, large or small. Every donation is important.”
CONTACT: Mary Esposito, WVU Foundation