CONTACT: Zane Lacko, WVU Extension Communications
Office: 304-293-8986; firstname.lastname@example.org
WHO: Volunteer and professional firefighters from West Virginia,West Virginia University Fire Service Extension faculty
WHAT: A three-day training opportunity provided free of charge to West Virginia firefighters so they can better serve their communities
WHEN: Friday to Sunday (Dec. 1 - Dec. 3), 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
WHERE: Courtyard by Marriott, 460 Courtyard Street, Morgantown, with some classes taking place on Scotts Run Road and Star City volunteer fire department
WHY: The West Virginia State Fire School is returning this year to ensure that West Virginia’s firefighters, from volunteer to full-time, get the most up-to-date training and certifications to keep their towns and communities safe. Best of all, it’s free to those firefighters that meet individual class prerequisites.
“It’s incredible to be able to present West Virginia’s firefighters advanced, free training that they need to handle situations in their communities safely and skillfully,” said Mark Lambert, director of the WVU Fire Service Extension. “At the end of the day, that’s what it boils down to for us. A vast majority of West Virginia’s firefighters are volunteers, so we’re doing our part to give them training they may not be able to otherwise get because of various circumstances beyond their control.”
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Full class listing can be found at https://extension.wvu.edu/community-business-safety/fire-service/news/2017/11/07/west-virginia-state-fire-school
BEST FILM OPPORTUNITIES:
· Friday(Dec 1) at 3 p.m. — WVU President Gordon Gee scheduled to be in attendance at the Courtyard Marriott trainings.
· Friday (Dec. 1) 9 a.m. to noon then 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. — live-fire, hands-on helicopter fire training at Courtyard Marriott lot
· Saturday (Dec. 2) 9 a.m. to noon then 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. — self-contained breathing apparatus, advanced structural firefighting and helicopter firefighting at Courtyard Marriott lot; confined space training at Star City volunteer fire department
· Same class schedule and locations on Sunday (Dec. 3) as Saturday (Dec. 2)
· Additional classes on water extraction take place at Scotts Run Road and additional certification classes take place inside Courtyard Marriott conference room throughout event
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.