The Morgantown Fire Department responded to a fire at about 9:30 p.m. that appears to have been set in a bathroom stall in Oglebay Hall. The fire was quickly extinguished and caused only minimal damage but a significant amount of smoke.
No classes were being held in the building at the time, but students and employees are encouraged to be vigilant.
Officers are actively reviewing information as they work to locate the suspect(s) and the West Virginia Fire Marshal has been alerted.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 304-293-COPS (2677) or visit the department at 992 Elmer Prince Drive, Morgantown, 26505. Information may be shared anonymously.
WVU is committed to providing a safe campus for the protection of the University community. The following safety tips are designed to help avoid potential crime.
Safety Tips and Resources:
· Be aware of the location of fire extinguishers, fire alarms, and emergency exits within your residence halls and academic buildings.
· Exit buildings in a calm, orderly fashion as to not cause trampling and logjams at exit points.
· Anyone who believes they are in danger should immediately call 911.
· If you witness a potentially dangerous situation or a crime, call 911 or UPD at 304-293-3136.
· Download WVU’s LiveSafe app and check settings to allow notifications.
· If you encounter an emergency situation on campus, utilize the blue light emergency call system where available.
· Visit safety.wvu.edu for additional resources and information.
· Sign up or monitor your WVU Alert account.
· In addition to the WVU Alert system, emergency messages are posted to the @WVUalert Twitter and WVU Safety and Wellness Facebook page. Students and employees are encouraged to follow these social media accounts, as well as the @WVUsafety Twitter, to get updates about incidents.
· Morgantown Fire Department – 911 | 304-284-7480
· WVU Carruth Center – 304-293-4431
· WVU Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – 304-293-5600
· WVU Office of Student Conduct – 304-293-8111
· WVU Faculty-Staff Assistance Program – 304-293-5590
· WVU Office of Campus and Community Life – 304-293-5611
· WVU Student Health Service – 304-285-7200
· WVU Division of Student Life – 304-293-5811
This Campus Warning is made pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act.
A Campus Warning is sent when a Clery-reportable crime occurs within the area designated by the Clery Act, that are reported to Campus Security Authorities (like WVU Police) or local police agencies and that are considered by the University to represent a serious or continuing threat to students and employees. Learn more about WVU’s three-tiered emergency notification system.
MEDIA CONTACT: April Kaull
Executive Director of Communications
Call 1-855-WVU-NEWS for the latest West Virginia University news and information from WVUToday.
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.