WHAT: WVU Diversity Week
WHEN: Sept. 15-21
WHERE: WVU Campus (Evansdale and Downtown)
- Mia Moody-Ramirez: Stereotypes, Humor & Black Twitter Narratives in the 21st Century, Wednesday, Sept. 18, 7-9 p.m., Mountainlair Ballroom
Moody-Ramirez is professor and chair of the Baylor University Department of Journalism, Public Relations and New Media. She joined Baylor in 2001 and has maintained an active research portfolio in addition to her teaching and leadership roles. Her research emphasizes media framing of people of color, women and other underrepresented groups.
Other events of note:
- Women of Color Luncheon, Wednesday, Sept. 18, 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m., Mountainlair Ballroom (sponsored by the WVU Council for Women’s Concerns) The keynote speaker will be West Virginia Delegate Danielle Walker.
- Gilbert Singletary: All Men Are Created Equal, Wednesday, Sept. 18, 4-5 p.m., College of Law Event Hall
The School of Public Health will welcome international speaker and bestselling author, Gilbert “Gil” Singletary to present “All Men Are Created Equal,” acknowledging the 400th anniversary of the first Africans brought to the country and how that ties to the social justice tenets of public health.
- Play Like a Girl: A Discussion of Women in Sports and Media, Tuesday, Sept. 17, 7-9 p.m., Mountainlair Ballroom
- Paola Boivin, professor at the Arizona State University Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and member of the College Football Playoff Selection Committee
- Meghan Duggan, forward for the USA Women’s Ice Hockey team (2018 Olympic Gold Medal Winner)
- Tomika Ferguson, Assistant Professor in the Virginia Commonwealth University Department of Educational Leadership (Founder of the Black Athlete Sister Circle (BASC) program for black women student-athletes at Division I institutions)
- Keli Zinn, Deputy Athletic Director at West Virginia University (Named Sports Business Journal’s 40 under 40 for 2019)
Moderated by Emily Corio, teaching associate professor at West Virginia University.
Panelists will be available for media interviews in the Mountainlair Cathedral Room prior to the event from 6:15 – 6:45 p.m.
All events are free and open to the public.
Special Events Coordinator
Call 1.855.WVU.NEWS for the latest West Virginia University news and information from WVUToday.Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.