Other first-year students will move in Saturday, Aug. 17 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Additionally, enrolled students for the fall semester will be making the trip back to Morgantown to start classes Wednesday, Aug. 21.
WHAT: Students will be integrated into campus life and culture through a series of Welcome Week activities and events designed to introduce them to life as a Mountaineer with a balance of academic, service and social components that will emphasize the importance of working hard, playing smart and serving their new community.
On Sunday and Monday (Aug. 18-19), first-year students may choose to participate in an Adventure/Campus Recreation activity through Adventure WV or a Community Service project through the Center for Service and Learning.
Sunday, Aug. 18:
- Service at Falling Run Trail: (9 a.m.-noon) at the end of Outlook Street. Students will make improvements to this greenspace connector between the Downtown Campus and the WVU Organic Farm.
- Service with Mountaineer Food Bank: (1-4 p.m.) in the WVU Shell Building next to the Coliseum. Students will assist with organizing a very large donation of new children’s clothes for distribution to communities throughout West Virginia.
- Service with the Emma Kaufman Camp: (9 a.m.-3 p.m.) Students will break down the camp after a busy summer season.
- Service at the Mountainlair: (9 a.m.-3 p.m.) Students will cut, tie and sew labels on blankets for Project Linus and prepare activity packets for a Moment of Magic and Girls on the Run.
Monday, Aug. 19:
- Service with Mountaineer Food Bank: (9 a.m.-noon) in the WVU Shell Building next to the Coliseum. Students will assist with organizing a very large donation of new children’s clothes for distribution to communities throughout West Virginia.
- Service with the WVU Organic Farm: (9 a.m.-noon) Students will help with produce harvest.
- Service with Arthurdale Heritage: (9 a.m.-noon) Students will assist with gardening, care and maintenance of historic buildings.
- Service with The Salvation Army: (9 a.m.-noon) Students will help with pressure washing and exterior painting and assist in the thrift store.
- Service at the Ronald McDonald House: (noon-3 p.m.) Students will assist staff in getting the house organized including projects in the garage and shed.
The following Adventure/Campus Recreation activities are offered Monday and Tuesday (Aug. 18-19):
- Paddling/Canoe/Kayak at the Star City Park Boat Ramp Area starting at 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- High Ropes/Canopy Tour at the WVU Outdoor Education Center starting at 8 a.m., 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Club Sports Sampler at Mylan Park at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
For questions about Community Service activities, contact the Center for Service and Learning at email@example.com or 304.293.8761. For questions about Adventure WV activities, contact AdventureWV@mail.wvu.edu or 304.293.5221.
WVU hosts the ‘I survived Move-in’ Parent Reception on the fifth floor of Evansdale Crossing Saturday, Aug. 17 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Welcome Week Picnics for New Students will be held Saturday, Aug. 17 from 6 - 8 p.m. at the Rec Center Courtyard, Evansdale; and the Mountainlair Plaza, Downtown (sponsored by Student Events Board).
Mountaineer MovieFest and Student Organization Fair returns from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 18 at the WVU Coliseum.
Monday Night Lights begins at 8 p.m. Monday, Aug. 19 at Milan Puskar Stadium. And for the first time, Monday Night Lights will be streamed live on Facebook and YouTube beginning with a pre-show live stream at 7:15 p.m.
FoodFest begins at 4 p.m. near the fields behind the Student Recreation Center and Evansdale Crossing Tuesday, Aug. 20. All WVU Students can sample a bit of the local flavor from food trucks.
FallFest begins at 5 p.m. at the fields behind the Student Recreation Center Tuesday, Aug. 20. All WVU students are invited to the annual free concert.
WVU Arts and Entertainment will announce the FallFest lineup Friday, Aug. 16.
** A separate media advisory detailing FallFest media guidelines will be distributed Monday, Aug. 19.
CONTACT: University Relations/Communications
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.