WVU’s HSTA director urges more states to create similar education programs

Two young men fist pumping each other sitting at a round table

Download full-size

What’s the News?
The Health Sciences & Technology Academy, West Virginia University’s unique tuition-free college program, should be replicated in other colleges and universities across the country, according to the program’s director, Ann Chester. The program’s success rate, proven in its high graduation percentages, has changed students’ lives, and Chester believes will change the state and could change the country. 

Quotes and Comments:
“I think this is a West Virginia gem. I think that we have a jewel here that should be copied in the rest of the U.S., and I think that it’s a win-win. I think that West Virginia students who have been through HSTA will change West Virginia for the best, and I think that the message could be carried further than that. So, I hope that the rest of the United States looks at this and says, 'Oh, yes, we can do it too: we can spread opportunity further than it is now, and we can change this country for the better.'” —Ann Chester, HSTA Director

Resources: 

(VIDEO): Ann Chester, Director of HSTA

STORY PITCH: WVU’s HSTA allows West Virginia high school students free college education opportunities

STORY PITCH: WVU’s Chester recognized as national leader in science and math mentoring

WVU’s Chester recognized as national leader in science and math mentoring

Target Audience:

• Middle school students
  • High school students
  • High school guidance counselors
  • Parents
  • Teachers
  • Other colleges and universities 

ck/05/01/19

CONTACT: Ann Chester
Director of HSTA
304.293.1651; achester@hsc.wvu.edu