Other first-year students will move in Saturday, Aug. 11 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Additionally, enrolled students for the fall semester will be making the trip back to Morgantown to start classes on Wednesday, Aug. 15.
WHAT: Students will be integrated into campus life and culture through a series of Welcome Week activities and events designed to introduce them to life as a Mountaineer with a balance of academic, service and social components that will emphasize the importance of working hard, playing smart and serving their new community.
On Sunday and Monday (Aug. 12-13), first-year students will participate in “Choose Your Adventure 2018.” Students may choose from an Adventure/Campus Recreation activity through Adventure WV or a Community Service project through the Center for Service and Learning.
SCHEDULE/LOCATIONS (highlighted service opportunities):
Sunday, Aug. 12:
· Day of Service at BOPARC. Students will prep and paint a fence along the rail trail on the Monongahela River in downtown Morgantown.
· Day of Service at Harrison County Historical Society. Students will assist with clean ups on the interior and yard of the Stealey-Goff-Vance House, and once those tasks are completed, the students will help move several boxes of museum artifacts to a new location within the house.
· Day of Service at Sundale Nursing Home. Students will spend time playing games with residents such as bingo, corn-hole, and Uno.
· Day of Service at the Mountainlair. Students will cut, tie and sew labels on blankets for Project Linus.
Monday, Aug. 13:
· Day of Service at the WVU Animal Science Farm. Students will help to organize and clean the Hearts of Gold Service Dog Training Facility. Activities will include cleaning floors and windows, reorganizing supplies and inventorying and repairing training aids. Students will also have the opportunity to meet and socialize with new puppies in the program.
· Day of Service with All Aboard Grafton. Students will break into teams to work with local groups and organizations, such as Save the Tygart Watershed Association,Taylor County Fair, Arts Council, Health Care Center, and an elementary school.
· Day of Service with Salvation Army. Students will participate in re-painting, cleaning outside windows, removing weeds and cleaning vehicles.
· Day of Service at North Elementary. Students will help with the school garden and also assist in preparation for the school's open house.
For questions about Community Service activities, contact the Center for Service and Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304.293.8761. For questions about Adventure WV activities, contact AdventureWV@mail.wvu.edu or 304.293.5221.
First-year students will meet with the faculty from their academic units Tuesday, Aug. 14 to better understand the necessary tools for success—and how to effectively use time and resources—as they prepare for classes.
Welcome Week Picnics for New Students will be held Saturday, Aug. 11 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Rec Center Courtyard, Evansdale; and the Mountainlair Plaza, Downtown (sponsored by Student Events Board). Then, all students can enjoy beach and boardwalk-themed attractions during WVUp All Night at the Mountainlair until 1 a.m.
Mountaineer MovieFest and Student Organization Fair from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 12 at the WVU Coliseum. This new event will feature a student organization fair, corn hole games and a movie for all students.
Monday Night Lights starts at 8 p.m. Monday, Aug. 13 at Milan Puskar Stadium. All first-year students will hear from President Gee and other University leaders, take in a performance from the Mountaineer Marching Band and learn about special WVU traditions.
FoodFest begins at 4 p.m. near the fields behind the Student Recreation Center and Evansdale Crossing Tuesday, Aug. 14. All WVU Students can sample a bit of the local flavor from food trucks.
FallFest begins at 5 p.m. at the fields behind the Student Recreation Center Tuesday, Aug. 15. All WVU students are invited to the annual free concert.
WVU Arts and Entertainment will announce the FallFest lineup Friday, Aug. 10.
** A separate media advisory detailing FallFest media guidelines will be distributed Monday, Aug. 13.
See the full schedule of Welcome Week events here.
Classes begin Wednesday, Aug. 15.
CONTACT: University Relations/Communications
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.