WVU students make a difference in the lives of their peers, advance learning outside the classroom, offset cost of higher education

four portrait composite with two smiling men and two smiling women

Four students who create programs that advance the University’s mission have been recognized for their leadership and service through the Herman L. Moses Scholarship. (WVU Photo)

Download full-size

What’s the News?

Opportunities to serve fellow students, faculty and staff abound for student employees at West Virginia University who also advance their learning outside the classroom and offset the cost of earning their degrees. 

Four students who create programs that advance the University’s mission, navigate the challenges of student life and who help others break down barriers to academic success have been recognized for their leadership and service through the Herman L. Moses Scholarship

Quotes and comments

Corey Farris
WVU Dean of Students

“It’s a privilege to present this scholarship that honors Herman Moses to four very deserving students. Dean Moses was a guiding light for thousands of students, a positive influence and mentor for countless Student Life professionals. Likewise, the students selected are making a difference in the lives of their peers every day.”

Herman L. Moses Scholarship Awardees

Khufu Edwards
Senior Office Manager, Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life
Senior, Finance
Washington, D.C.

“This award has impacted my life greatly. Because of it, I have the ability to supplement the cost of my study abroad trip and sleep a lot easier. I know that studying abroad will help my holistic development as a young man in today's society. I pay for college by myself, so assistance is always welcomed and appreciated.”

Alek Kesselring
Office Assistant, Dean of Students Office
Senior, Accounting
Moundsville

“Being involved with Student Life since I stepped foot on WVU’s campus, it is a true honor to receive this scholarship in the name of former Dean of Students Herman Moses. Along with the recognition, the monetary support this scholarship provides will help me finish my senior year and transition seamlessly into the working world.”

Mikalaa Martin
MidFit Academic Coach, Carruth Center for Counseling and Psychological Services
Senior, Forensic and Investigative Science
Granite Falls, North Carolina 

"Not only am I rewarded daily through my work, but I am able to carry on Moses’ legacy of being committed to helping students on campus. I am very grateful for my time spent with Mindfit and the leaders who have provided me with never-ending support and guidance in my tutoring position. This scholarship has allowed me to participate in co-curricular activities that have furthered my knowledge in the forensic science field and gain additional experiences such as presenting my research at regional conferences.”

Hannah Williams
Managing Editor and Production Director, The Daily Athenaeum
Senior, Strategic Communications
Parkersburg

“Receiving this award is a great honor. Not only does it help greatly with college expenses, but receiving it lets me know that the work I am doing isn't going unnoticed— that the work I am doing matters and affects others beyond myself. I am grateful to receive this award, and I'm more excited than ever before to continue working for and representing our student body.”

Target Audiences

• Students
  • Faculty and staff
  • High school students
  • Parents 

ta/2/14/20

CONTACT: Trish Cendana
WVU Division of Student Life
304-293-4901; tlcendana@mail.wvu.edu

Call 1-855-WVU-NEWS for the latest West Virginia University news and information from WVUToday.