'Important skills' learned in 4-H help high school senior land Capitol Hill job, WVU Honors College slot

young woman smiling with WVU flag on her lap

Jamie Yoder, a Braxton County 4-H'er, used the skills she learned in 4-H to land a position working on Capitol Hill and studying at WVU. (WVU Extension Photo)

Download full-size

What’s the News?

A high school senior with an active interest in learning more about government used the skills she learned in 4-H to land a job on Capitol Hill and an Honors College spot at West Virginia University

Jamie Yoder of Braxton County said WVU Extension Service’s 4-H taught her important lessons like communication skills and self-awareness. 

Quotes and comments:

“Regardless of your gender, a disability or a setback, they include you. 4-H allows you to show who you can be without peer pressure and without the stigmas. They allow you to show your true self without any negative feedback.”

“Honestly without 4-H I probably wouldn’t be as social as I am. I was a shy person when I joined 4-H, and now I’m a social butterfly. It’s just a wonderful opportunity to meet so many people.” 

“It’s kind of always been WVU. They have a great program for me, and it’s my family’s home state. It’s all in all, the best option.” -Jamie Yoder, 4-H member and future Mountaineer

Target Audiences:

• 4-H club members and leaders
  • Parents
  • Educators
  • Students

hrm/02/04/20

CONTACT: Haley Moore
Communications Specialist
WVU Extension Service
304-293-8986 (office) or 304-612-6359 (cell); hrmoore@mail.wvu.edu  

Call 1-855-WVU-NEWS for the latest West Virginia University news and information from WVUToday.