WVU 4-H programming helps student win excellence scholarship

Young man in purple shirt talks to a group of people

Ethan Meighen

Download full-size

What’s the News?

At West Virginia University, 4-H programming has adapted to include robotics and similar activities that help students be successful in STEM fields. A 4-H Lego robotics program guided Ethan Meighen’s decision on a major and a career path. Meighen’s leadership skills he learned through 4-H earned him the EQT Foundation’s West Virginia Students of Excellence scholarship.

Quotes and Comments:

“My time in 4-H really brought me out of my shell and taught me leadership and discipline—two things that served me really well in the past, but it’s also helping me now as I balance friendships, classes and student organizations. Being involved in 4-H has helped me connect to so many people here at WVU.”

“Although I didn’t really know it at the time, that’s where I was introduced to biomedical engineering and it stuck. I learned how technology can help people live healthier lives and using a creation of our own to do so was captivating.” —Ethan Meighen, Harrison County

Resources:

Link to original story: West Virginia 4-H and the EQT Foundation enable WVU student to find academic success

(VIDEO): Ethan Meighen

Target Audience:

• Middle and high school students

• Parents
  • Instructors
  • Other colleges and universities
  • STEM majors 

ck/04/25/19

CONTACT: Zane Lacko
WVU Extension Service
304.293.8986; zlacko@mail.wvu.edu