STORY PITCH: WVU School of Design and Community Development to host Day of Design

Jake Bolen

WVU landscape architecture senior Jake Bolen

Download full-size

What’s the news?
The West Virginia University School of Design and Community Development will host its annual Day of Design on April 25, giving students in the landscape architecture program and fashion, dress and merchandising program an opportunity to showcase their work and learn from prominent design practitioners who will provide critique and serve as guest lecturers.

Quotes and comments
“I think anytime we have an opportunity as a school to open our doors and share the work of our students with outside critics, alumni and faculty from other programs, it is a win-win situation. Students feel the excitement of presenting their work, and those visiting contribute their knowledge to the students’ learning experience.”—Peter Butler, director and associate professor of the School of Design and Community Development

“I remember my first Day of Design as a freshman. I was walking around, looking at all the work on display and thinking, ‘there’s no way I’m going to be able to do this.’ But the more I walked around and talked with people about their projects, I began to feel motivated and inspired. And now, as a senior, I’m still a little intimidated, but appreciate how this event forces us to be confident in our designs.”—Jake Bolen, WVU landscape architecture senior

Resources
Link to original article: WVU School of Design and Community Development to host Day of Design 

[AUDIO :40] Jake Bolen discusses Day of Design

Lisa Orr, coordinator of this year’s Day of Design

Complete event schedule

Target audiences

Design enthusiasts

Current and potential students interested in related fields

People interested in student’s work 

WVU and Morgantown community

nl/04/16/18

CONTACT: Nikky Luna, Communications Manager
WVU Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design
304.293.2394; Nikky.Luna@mail.wvu.edu