Quite the row: WVU horticulture student organizes Pumpkin Regatta

Dustin.Trychta.SPPumpkinRegatta.feature

Dustin Trychta with one of his giant pumpkins.

Download full-size

What’s the news?
A passion for growing pumpkins, an ethic opposed to waste and a sense of originality and fun have inspired West Virginia University horticulture student Dustin Trychta to organize a Pumpkin Regatta. Just what it sounds like, four giant, hollowed pumpkins will be used as boats in a relay races along the Monongahela River  Sunday (Oct. 22)  beginning at 11 a.m. Participating teams include the WVU Horticulture Club, Men’s Rowing Club, WVU student veterans and teachers from North Elementary School. The event is free and open to the public.

Quotes and comments
“At the end of the day, I'm trying to show people that a pumpkin is not ‘just a pumpkin.’ My pumpkins are a vehicle. A vehicle by which I'm able to spread good spirit and sober fun. A vehicle to promote agriculture at a land grant university. A vehicle to pull clubs of very different backgrounds together in a collaborative way. To me, my pumpkins are priceless, and because of that I will not waste them. I decided long ago, I would always find a way to share them after harvest. It's challenging coming up with new ideas each year, but no one likes the same old thing, so it's worth a bit of effort.” – Dustin Trychta, horticulture student in the Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design

Resources

Feature photo

Dustin Trychta audio file (:34)

Original story: Oh, my gourd!

Target Audiences

WVU Community

Morgantown and surrounding communities

Educators and administrators

Parents

Kids of all ages

Pumpkin enthusiasts

CONTACT: Lindsay Willey
Communications Manager, Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design
304.293.2381; Lindsay.Willey@mail.wvu.edu