Three West Virginia University student films are advancing to Hollywood from the 2013 Campus MovieFest held this fall on campus.

The films are “The B Team,” awarded Best Picture; “Nightmare,” awarded Best Comedy; and “Headed for Home,” awarded Best Drama.

These winners were chosen from more than 150 entries and will advance to the Grand Finale of the competition in Hollywood, Calif., in June 2014.

“The B Team” was created by SugarK Productions, a team led by Kevin Langue. It chronicled Langue’s failed attempt at making the best five-minute movie ever produced. “Nightmare” was created by the Minority Report team led by Nick Tabidze and tells the story of the conquests of two bros who are more than they appear.

“Headed for Home,” was created by Lauren Schiefelbein, a graduate student in the School of Art and Design. It tells the story of a complicated relationship between a father and son within a baseball context, told through a letter from the father to his son.

Her film was also given a Silver Tripod Award for Best Story and has been nominated as a semi-finalist for a Golden Tripod Award, an international honor given by Campus MovieFest.

Schiefelbein, a native of Philippi, W.Va., is Master of Fine Arts candidate in graphic design. She also completed her undergraduate degree in graphic design at WVU and has taken many courses in photography and electronic media, which sparked her interest in working with film.

“I owe a lot to my design and intermedia professors for giving me the tools and experiences needed in order to pull off a successful film in such a short matter of time,” she said. “They also helped me tell a powerful story that all viewers can relate to in their personal lives.”

Campus MovieFest is a short film competition for college students interested in filmmaking. Winners in the Grand Finale portion of the competition will receive prizes such as $30,000 in cash, filmmaking gear and professional opportunities that will help them get a foot in the door to the movie industry.

“I am really glad I took advantage of the opportunity to compete in Campus MovieFest,” Schiefelbein said. “It was a great experience, and it definitely reinforced my love for what I do.

“I’m looking forward to seeing my film among all of the other finalists’ films on the “big screen” during the various screenings in Hollywood. It’s going to be set up like a red carpet event, so I know it will be an exciting atmosphere. I’m also hoping to do some networking and attend some workshops put on by industry professionals during my time there.”

All three films can be viewed here: http://www.campusmoviefest.com/festivals/410-west-virginia-university

ec/11/25/13

CONTACT: Charlene Lattea, College of Creative Arts
304-293-4359, Charlene.Lattea@mail.wvu.edu