The incident was reported to UPD on Wednesday (Aug. 21). The suspect and victim, a non-student, had had previous contact through a social network. The suspect, a WVU student, has been identified and questioned.
Sexual abuse is defined as a person subjecting another person to sexual contact without their consent, and that lack of consent is due to physical force, threat, incapacitation, age or intimidation.
WVU Police offer the following online dating safety tips:
- Meet in a public place
- Don’t accept a ride
- Tell a friend of family member you’re going
- Keep your cellphone with you at all times
- Don’t get intoxicated and don’t accept drinks that you don’t see poured
- Be aware of your body language and behavior
- Leave or get help if you feel you need to
- Always trust your instincts
- If all goes well then repeat the process until you really know the other person.
CONTACT: University Police
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.