Breast cancer patients at the WVU Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center like having a new specialty boutique in the same place where they receive treatment. Located on the ground floor near the main lobby of the Cancer Center, the Boutique features a variety of specialty products including free wigs and scarves. More wigs can also be purchased, as well as hats, turbans, breast prostheses and post-mastectomy bras. Personal assistance with fitting is also provided.

The Boutique at the Cancer Center is operated by Bonnie Bell of Martinsburg, a two-time breast cancer survivor. “I’m so glad to be here to help women who are dealing with breast cancer,” said Bell. “I know what they’re going through. I’ve been there, done that.”

Bell marked her 10-year anniversary this past October as a breast cancer survivor. “I strongly believe there is a need to have boutiques at facilities where breast cancer patients receive treatment. When I learned that WVU Hospitals was looking for someone to run the Cancer Center Boutique, I volunteered to do it.”

“When you’re being treated for cancer you don’t always feel up to finding a store that handles products like that,” Sharon Leszun, R.N., said. Leszun, of Weirton, is a cancer patient and has been a nurse at WVU Hospitals for 24 years. “It’s nice knowing that the Boutique is just a few steps away. It’s like one-stop shopping.”

“Losing my long hair was pretty difficult,” Vickie Easter, of Carmichaels, Pa., said. “My hair was my pride and joy, but Bonnie was so helpful. She really cares.”

The Cancer Center Boutique is owned by WVU Hospitals. Bell receives no pay for running it, but does keep the proceeds from any products she sells. She also helps women get prostheses and bras through third party insurances. “I take care of all the paperwork for them. When I do a prosthesis fitting, I have the prosthesis shipped to the Cancer Center for the patient’s convenience.”

The Boutique at the Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday, and 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday. Appointments are preferred, but walk-ins are welcome.

CONTACT: Kim Fetty, HSC News Service
304-293-7087, fettyki@wvuh.com