West Virginia University School of Dentistry alumnus Dr. Chad Westfall has established a new family endowment by pledging $25,000 to the School of Dentistry. Dr. Westfall’s new fund, the Westfall Family Dental Endowment, supports the Departments of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery and Orthodontics.

“I completed a general practice residency at the WVU School of Dentistry in 2009 and worked closely with the oral surgery program,” Dr. Westfall said. “My professor, Dr. Bryan Weaver, acted as a mentor to me during my residency, which greatly influenced my experience and time with the School.”

Dr. Westfall is also a proud graduate of the WVU Orthodontics program and calls department “one of the best in the country.” He said Dr. Peter Ngan, chair, and Dr. Tim Tremont, clinical associate professor, are both taking the program in the right direction.

“It is the support from alumni like Dr. Westfall that allow our School to keep moving in the right direction and lend support to our students, faculty, and patients,” said Dean Dr. Tom Borgia. “We are constantly striving to have WVU remain among the best dental schools in the country and appreciate any and all support from our alumni to maintain this level of excellence.”

A dedicated alum and Mountaineer, Dr. Westfall received his doctor of dental surgery degree in 2008, then completed a one-year general practice residency in 2009. He was awarded a masters in orthodontics in 2013. Dr. Westfall currently has his own orthodontic practice in Abingdon, VA where he resides with his wife, Caitlin, and son, Jack. His endowment also honors his father, Dr. John Westfall, who earned his DDS from the WVU School of Dentistry in 1975, and his mother, Patricia Westfall, who received her masters in speech pathology from WVU in 1978.

“The education and degree I received from WVU has provided me and my family a wonderful opportunity,” Dr. Westfall said. “The least I could do is to give back.”

This donation was made in conjunction with _A State of Minds: The Campaign for West Virginia’s University.” The $1 billion fundraising effort being conducted by the WVU Foundation on behalf of the University runs through December 2017.

bn/04/25/2016

CONTACT: WVU HSC Office of Philanthropy
304.293.3980