Troy Clemons will officially begin his reign as the 2016-17 West Virginia University Mountaineer Mascot on April 22, when current Mountaineer Michael Garcia passes the rifle on to him in a formal ceremony. The ceremony, open to the public, will take place at 4 p.m. in the Barnette Room of the Erickson Alumni Center.

Clemons, a senior sport management major from Maxwell, WV, was named the mascot during the March 2 WVU-Texas Tech men’s basketball game. His first official appearance as the Mountaineer will take place at the Gold-Blue Spring Game slated to begin at 1p.m. on Saturday (April 23) at the Greenbrier Sports Performance Center.

“Being chosen as the Mountaineer is something that I have dreamed about for a long time,” Clemons said. “Having this opportunity to represent the university, state, and all the wonderful people is a huge honor and something I will not take lightly.”
I’m thrilled to get started and go out to do all I can for this University and represent the Mountaineer the best I can like the 63 before me,” he said.
Garcia, a first-year graduate student majoring in public administration, is finishing up his second term as the 2014-2016 Mountaineer Mascot.

“It has been my pleasure to serve as the Mountaineer Mascot for the past two years,” Garcia said. “These memories will be with me for the rest of my life and I hope that all those who helped along the way know how much I appreciate their support. Without so many other people, it would be impossible for the Mountaineer to accomplish anything.”

“I am looking forward to Troy representing West Virginia University well. His humble and hard-working nature makes him deserving of this honor,” Garcia said.

The ceremony will begin with opening remarks from Derek Wetsch of Mountain Honorary followed by remarks from the following former Mountaineer Mascots: Natalie Tennant, Brock Burwell, and Brandon Flower. Garcia will talk about his experience as the Mountaineer mascot and Clemons will share his expectations.

For questions, please contact Sonja Wilson, Mountaineer Advisor/Scheduling Coordinator at Sonja.Wilson@mail.wvu.edu or call 304.293.2702.

ta/4/7/16

CONTACT: Sonja Wilson, Mountaineer Mascot
304.293.2702, sonja.wilson@mail.wvu.edu