Two long-time West Virginia University Extension 4-H supporters are giving back to the organization they say changed their lives.

June Myers and her daughter, Deborah McDonald, recently created the Core-Myers Alpha Scholarship Fund to benefit the WVU Extension Service 4-H Youth Development Program.

The endowed scholarship will provide funds to youth from Monongalia and Mineral Counties to attend Alpha I and Alpha II summer 4-H camps at WVU Jackson’s Mill jackson’s mill farmstead.

Myers joined 4-H when she was an elementary school student in Core, W.Va. When Myers’ class graduated, the school’s 4-H club became a community club, and Myers was able to continue her involvement and membership.

Myers went on to work as an Extension agent in Mineral County and continued participating in 4-H. When she married and moved back to Monongalia County, she served as assistant Extension editor for home economics and edited the 4-H suggestion newsletter from 1954-1956.

She stopped working in 1956 to begin raising her three daughters. As her daughters grew and entered 4-H, Myers continued to be involved with the local clubs.

“I am a project of 4-H. It has shaped my life and for that, I am eternally thankful,” Myers said. “I still have friends from 4-H that are still with me, and I am 89 years old.”

Myers says she is giving back because of the positive ways her life was impacted by 4-H.

Her daughter, Debbie McDonald, has served as the director of youth development for WVU Extension since 2003. Her involvement with 4-H began as a member, and she eventually moved to camping instructor, volunteer, WVU Extension agent, 4-H parent and now 4-H state leader.

“I’ve grown up surrounded by a family of 4-H’ers for my entire life,” said McDonald. “It’s just as much a part of who I am as it is what I do.”

Both women’s start in 4-H can be traced back to McDonald’s grandfather, who was in one of Monongalia County’s first corn clubs.

Myers says 4-H deeply impacted the lives of her and her daughters, providing them, above all else, lifelong friends. She hopes the scholarship and 4-H experience will bring positive experiences to the members who receive the funding.

The funds may be used for partial or full scholarships, and the amount available will be split each year between Monongalia and Mineral Counties.

The gift from June C. Myers and Debbie McDonald was made in conjunction with A State of Minds: The Campaign for West Virginia’s University. The $1 billion fundraising effort by the WVU Foundation on behalf of the University runs through December 2017.

-WVUF-

hk/02/04/2016

CONTACT: Bill Nevin, WVU Foundation
304-284-4056, wnevin@wvuf.org