Morgantown native Debra Kline McMann, a 1986 graduate of the West Virginia University School of Pharmacy, and her husband William F. McMann, a 1985 graduate of the Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources, have pledged $25,000 to support student pharmacists at WVU.

“My husband and I were both students at WVU, and it’s close to our hearts,” Debra McMann said. “It’s not easy getting started and we’ve been there, so we wanted to give back.”

The gift established the Kline McMann Family Pharmacy Scholarship, which will be awarded to students who demonstrate financial need. Preference will be given to residents of Morgantown, and students are eligible for the scholarship for multiple years if they continue to meet selection criteria.

The first recipient is Ryan Watson, a second-year student pharmacist in the Doctor of Pharmacy professional program.

“Receiving a scholarship from a past alumna really allowed me to know how important the field of pharmacy is to all those who go into it.” Watson said. “It made me reflect and realize how big of a family this profession is. “

“College is a memorable time,” Debra McMann said. “That’s where you get your start, and it’s what you remember. I can see that the (pharmacy) program is different now from when I was a student. There are new classes and avenues to explore. It’s broadened and is a completely different atmosphere. We want to help and support students.”

The McManns, who now live in Flower Mound, Texas, have also supported to the Statler College, creating the William and Debra McMann Engineering Scholarship for undergraduate students in 2013.

The gifts were made in conjunction with A State of Minds: The Campaign for West Virginia’s University. The $1 billion comprehensive campaign being conducted by the WVU Foundation on behalf of the University runs through December 2017.

hd/05/22/15

CONTACT: Amy Newton; WVU School of Pharmacy
304.293.7192; adnewton@hsc.wvu.edu