Two West Virginia University graduates have established new scholarships for the College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences. The endowments will provide support for West Virginia resident undergraduate students in CPASS’ physical education teacher education and sport management programs.

“Both gifts offer excellent opportunities for our students. The funds fill an ongoing need at CPASS as we expand our academic programs and learning experiences for students,” said Dana D. Brooks, CPASS dean. The individual gift amounts equal $25,000 each.

“Alumni support is critical to expand our scholarships and to attract highly qualified students to our College. These generous gifts by Sandra Marshall and Robin Hayhurst will help us achieve that,” Brooks said.

Marshall, who is a retired insurance agent, earned her bachelor’s degree in physical education in 1969 and master’s in PE in 1971. Marshall grew up in Wheeling, and now lives in St. Clairsville, Ohio. The scholarship, the Bob and Jean Wilson Memorial Scholarship, is named in memory of her parents.

Marshall credits her career success due to the leadership and direction she received as a student at WVU.

“My parents, sister and two uncles attended WVU. It’s in my blood. Once I arrived, I received excellent training from Dr. Wincie Caruth, Kacey Wiedebusch and Kittie Blakemore. Their guidance prepared me for my first job,” Marshall said.

“My WVU training not only helped with teaching and running a community park, but gave me confidence to be an executive secretary, sell real estate and become a licensed insurance agent. It was preparation for life after college.”

Marshall credits her friendship with Brooks as her inspiration to give back to the University.

“My decision to create the scholarship was because of the 25 plus year association with the College and Dean Brooks. He continued to invite me back to campus and when we returned for the new building dedication on Oct. 3, my choice was cemented. I was very impressed,” she said.

Hayhurst, who hails from Buckhannon, earned his bachelor’s in sport management in 1982. His adviser, William Alsop, provided direction and advice. Hayhurst’s career path led him to the oil and gas industry. He now lives in Orlando and said he returns to the Mountain State to catch up with family and friends.

As a student at WVU, Hayhurst played on intramural teams, which is how he met Brooks.

“My ongoing relationship with Dean Brooks has influenced my decision to give. I hope that this scholarship will allow bright students who might not otherwise be able to afford college the opportunity to gain a first rate education,” Hayhurst said.

His two brothers also earned degrees from WVU, one as an accountant and the other in sport management. All three have chosen to give back to the University through scholarships in support of academics and athletics.

“Scholarships play a critical part in helping us maintain the excellent national reputation we’ve earned in both the sport management and physical education teacher education programs. We continue to attract outstanding students who go on to make exceptional contributions in their fields,” Brooks said.

The WVU Foundation, in partnership with the University, is currently conducting A State of Minds: The Campaign for West Virginia’s University. The goal of the largest fundraising effort in the history of the University is to raise $1 billion by December 2017.

For more information on the comprehensive campaign, please visit http://astateofminds.com or http://cpass.wvu.edu.

kc/02/12/15

CONTACT: Kimberly Cameon, WVU College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences
304.293.0827, Kimberly.Cameon@mail.wvu.edu