A popular West Virginia University professor has donated copies of her children’s book, “Living Life the West Virginia Way,” to each of the 466 elementary public school libraries across the state.

Carolyn Peluso Atkins, also known for creating Student Athletes Speak Out, wrote the book to encourage character education for elementary-aged children and to instill in them a sense of pride for West Virginia.

Beginning this week, the West Virginia elementary public school libraries will receive a copy of the book.

“As a native West Virginian, I am proud of my state and its people,” said Atkins, a speech pathology and audiology professor at the WVU College of Education and Human Services. “As a professor at West Virginia University, I am concerned about the low college attendance rate for West Virginians. I realize some children are never exposed to the idea of higher education. That is one reason I decided to write the book.”

It is Atkins’ hope that after reading (or listening to) the book, young children will learn something about the state, be introduced to the concept of attending college and be reminded about the importance of good character.

Both WVU and Marshall are featured as the two largest universities in the state and the Mountaineer and Marco the Buffalo are characters who appear throughout the book.

“My parents, John and Mildred Peluso, grew up in rural West Virginia areas,” Atkins said. “Coming from large, poor families, they never had the opportunity to finish middle school. While both enjoyed reading in later life, neither ever owned a book as a child. Therefore, they instilled in me at an early age the importance of reading, telling me that if I knew how to read, I could learn anything.

“This book was a labor of love for West Virginia, for children, and for my late parents. I hope that teachers and counselors will share it and read it to their students. It seems appropriate to mail the books to coincide with Valentine’s Day for two reasons: because it is my father’s birthday and because of my deep feelings for my state.”

By visiting http://saso.wvu.edu, teachers, parents, and students may download a copy of discussion questions related to the content as well as a “certificate” to present to those who are “Living Life the West Virginia Way.” For more information, contact carolyn.atkins@mail.wvu.edu

cz/02/09/15

CONTACT: Christie Zachary, College of Education and Human Services
304.293.0224; Christie.Zachary@mail.wvu.edu