Michael Garcia will officially begin his reign as the 2014-15 West Virginia University Mountaineer Mascot on April 11, when current Mountaineer Jonathan Kimble passes the rifle on in a formal ceremony. It will take place at 7 p.m. on April 11 in the Barnette Room of the Erickson Alumni Center.

Garcia, a junior political science major from Fairmont, W.Va., was named the Mountaineer Mascot during the March 8 WVU-Kansas basketball game. His first official appearance as Mountaineer will be at the Gold-Blue Spring Game on Saturday, April 12 at 1 p.m. at Milan Puskar Stadium.

“I am so thankful for the opportunity to be chosen as the next Mountaineer,” Garcia said. “This experience of trying out these past two years has proven to me that when you are dedicated, anything is possible. I have so many outstanding former Mountaineers, such as Jonathan Kimble, to look up to as role models, and I am looking forward to a year full of excitement and growth at West Virginia University.”

Kimble, a second-year graduate student in human resources and industrial relations, is finishing his second term as the 2012-14 Mountaineer Mascot.

“It has been a great honor to put on the buckskins each and every single day and travel the great state of West Virginia,” Kimble said. “The past two years have been nothing short of amazing and a dream come true. Being an ambassador for WVU, as well as the state of West Virginia, has been truly special, and I will forever cherish and remember the wonderful memories I’ve made over the past two years.

“I loved being a part of the first year in the Big 12 Conference, as it was an incredible experience. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to fire the rifle at each sporting event and for every high five and hug I gave to all the elementary students and kids visiting the children’s hospital. I know that Michael will continue on the legacy with honor and pride.”

The ceremony will begin with opening remarks from Derek Wetsch of Mountain Honorary followed by remarks from the following former Mountaineer Mascots Natalie Tennant, Brady Campbell and Scott Moore. Kimble will have an opportunity to speak about the experience of serving as the 2012-2014 Mountaineer followed by Garcia, who will speak about his expectations. Closing remarks will be given by Wetsch.

The public is invited to attend this event. For questions, contact Sonja Wilson, Mountaineer Advisor/Scheduling Coordinator at Sonja.Wilson@mail.wvu.edu or call the Mountainlair Administrative Offices at 304-293-2702.

ta/04/01/14

CONTACT: Sonja Wilson, Mountaineer Mascot
304.293.2702, Sonja.Wilson@mail.wvu.edu