Here is the reaction of University and state leaders to Monday’s action by the West Virginia University Board of Governors to select E. Gordon Gee as the institution’s 24th president:

WVU President Emeritus David C. Hardesty Jr.:

Gordon Gee is one of the most charismatic and experienced university presidents in America. We are very fortunate to have him back at WVU. I extend my congratulations to both President Gee and the WVU Board of Governors.

C. Peter Magrath, former interim president of WVU:

E. Gordon Gee has always loved WVU, as I do. He is exactly the right, the best person, to guide WVU in the years ahead. He has my total support, endorsement and confidence.

Cindi Roth, president and CEO, WVU Foundation:

Dr. Gee is a skilled, seasoned fundraiser who brings a strong sense of urgency to this position and is dedicated to maintaining the momentum set by Dr. Clements. He will certainly lend that expertise to assist us in achieving our philanthropic goals as we work to advance the mission of WVU and provide support to students, faculty and research needs.

John T. Fahey, chairman of the board, WVU Alumni Association:

In just the few months he has been here, President Gee has brought a great sense of energy and enthusiasm that has resonated across campus. He has made himself available for alumni activities and fundraising events in different parts of the country, and, when in attendance, is the most approachable person there, continuously meeting our graduates and sharing his feelings for WVU with them. The man is non-stop. We are fortunate to have such a genuine individual and proven leader at the helm.

U.S. Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-WV:

Today is an exciting day for West Virginia University. I’m joining with Mountaineers everywhere in celebrating Gordon Gee’s official appointment as president. President Gee is the right person, at the right time. He brings to this position a firm vision for the university, strong leadership credentials and an unmatched dedication to the students and faculty. I am confident President Gee will carry on the important work of building WVU into a world-class university.

U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin, D-WV:

I congratulate President Gordon Gee on serving as West Virginia University’s 24th president. President Gee brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the Mountain State. I look forward to working with him to further WVU’s development and enhancement.

U.S. Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, R-WV:

E. Gordon Gee is unequivocally committed to the students, staff and vision of West Virginia University, and I have full confidence that he will help lead WVU and our state forward in educating the next generation of West Virginians. I met with President Gee a few weeks ago and was struck by his energy and enthusiasm for this institution and his willingness to serve our state. I commend the search committee and Board of Governors on their superb selection and congratulate President Gee on this great honor and responsibility.

U.S. Rep. David McKinley, R-WV:

He’s an enormously talented individual that can contribute a lot to strengthen the University. I have always had a good relationship with him having worked with him before as WVU’s President. He was focused on the university then and after meeting with him a month ago, it reinforced that he is an obvious leader for West Virginia University. E. Gordon Gee is respected around the nation and has held key roles in higher education. I am delighted they have put him in a permanent position.

West Virginia Sen. Robert H. Plymale, chair, Senate Education Committee:

I’m pleased to see that the WVU Board of Governors has decided to hire E. Gordon Gee for the full time position as President of WVU. I have really enjoyed the time I have spent working with him this year and look forward to working with him in the future. His leadership experience in higher education will be very beneficial for West Virginia University.

Lisa DiBartolomeo, faculty representative to the Board of Governors:

Dr. Gee comes back to West Virginia University with an outstanding and singular background. The faculty and Faculty Senate are excited to partner with him as we move forward.

Dixie Martinelli, classified staff representative on the Board:

President Gee has been engaged with classified staff since his arrival on campus two months ago. This appointment will enable classified staff to continue the dialogue regarding much needed salary increases.

Staff Council President Lisa Martin:

I am pleased that President Gee has accepted a more permanent role at West Virginia University. He has shown a genuine interest in classified staff issues and this will allow us to continue our work toward positive changes for staff.

Ryan Campione, student representative on the BOG:

In a short amount of time President E. Gordon Gee has warmly embraced the student body, engaging with us in all different facets of student life. Students greatly appreciate his caring involvement and are overwhelmingly thrilled to see him continue as president and as our friend.

Contact: University Relations/News
304.293.6997