Travis Braden, a sophomore dual majoring in mechanical and aerospace engineering at West Virginia University, didn’t need a calculator to know his points lead in the Automobile Racing Club of America/Champion Racing Association Super Series was big. But on Sunday (Sept. 22), it became bigger than big; it became insurmountable.

Just by starting the CRA Fall Brawl at Indianapolis’ Lucas Oil Speedway, Braden clinched the 2013 ARCA/CRA Super Series Powered by JEGS championship. But Braden did more than just start the race; just for extra measure, he won it.

“I never dreamed that at such an early point in my career I would be a champion driver in a national-level touring series of stock cars,” said Braden. “While I pushed the envelope as a driver this year, the results we achieved are due to the tremendous efforts put forth by every single person on my race team.”

Ever since the 19-year-old Wheeling native entered into an advertising agreement with his alma mater, which put the “Flying WV” and the “old gold and blue” on his race car for the 2013 season, he has been on a tear, winning five races and finishing in the top 10 nine times.

“Having the support of WVU has been incredible,” Braden continued. “I truly believe that sense of ‘Mountaineer pride’ gave me an extra edge throughout the season. It really has been heartwarming to see the response from the school as well as all the West Virginia natives who have reached out to me, either at a race or through social media. People have started to follow me because of the WVU name and I love being able to represent my home state and this great University no matter where I race.”

Nowhere was that sense of “Mountaineer Pride” more evident than at the Sept. 15 race at Kil-Kare Speedway in Ohio.

Click below to hear the WVUToday radio spot on this motoring Mountaineer.

“Kil-Kare is considered my home track because it is the closest to Wheeling,” Braden said. “My entire family came to the race, as well as a lot of close friends. Even before we picked up the victory, it was great to see an entire section of the grandstands decked out in gold and blue. When we won, that whole section just went wild.”

Winning a series championship is a familiar feeling for Braden, who has experienced success at every racing level. In 2011, he was named NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model National Rookie of the Year and in 2012, he was ARCA/CRA Rookie of the Year, which earned him the right to test at Daytona International Speedway. And while 2014 is still a work in progress, Braden sees his 2013 success as a possible stepping stone to the next level.

“We have proven ourselves time and time again as worthy champions and I believe we deserve a shot at the next level,” Braden said. “I’m determined to make it happen, with the help of all my supporters, including WVU. Even if it’s just a few breakthrough races, just think how cool it would be to see the Flying WV on the track at a NASCAR Truck Series event or Spring Cup event? Regardless of what happens, I will always be a full-blooded Mountaineer and will share that pride where ever I go.”

To view a WVUToday-produced video on Braden, click here.

mcd/09/23/13

CONTACT: Mary C. Dillon, Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
304.293.4086; mary.dillon@mail.wvu.edu