Doug Van Scoy wears several hats when it comes to his alma mater. Alumnus, board member, mentor, advisor, campaign chairman and donor. Make that “major donor.”

Doug and Pam Van Scoy’s gift of $1.5 million to West Virginia University’s College of Business and Economics is only the latest gesture of their love for the place where they both earned degrees. The donation is the first major gift in the public phase of the WVU Foundation’s A State of Minds comprehensive private fundraising campaign, which began June 2.

“West Virginia University and the College of Business and Economics provided me with the tools I needed not only for the business world, but for life overall,” said Doug Van Scoy, who earned a finance degree from B&E in 1966 and a subsequent graduate degree from WVU in 1968.

“Out in the real world, I quickly found out that the skills, training and education I received at WVU allowed me to be competitive at the highest levels. I’ve never forgotten that. This gift, however, is about the future of B&E,” Van Scoy said.

Van Scoy is B&E’s national campaign chairman for the fundraising effort and is part of the 23-member national capital campaign committee for WVU. He is no stranger in past service to his university, as he has served as a board member and chairman of the West Virginia University Alumni Association. He presently serves on the WVU Foundation Board of Directors and the B&E Hospitality & Tourism Advisory Board.

Out in the real world, I quickly found out that the skills, training and education I received at WVU allowed me to be competitive at the highest levels. I’ve never forgotten that. This gift, however, is about the future of B&E.”

—Doug Van Scoy

“We are deeply grateful for the loyalty and generosity of Doug and Pam Van Scoy,” said WVU President Jim Clements. “We have been blessed with their friendship and support in so many ways over a long period of time. This latest gift will help ensure that innovation and entrepreneurship continue to thrive at the College of Business and Economics, and I add my heartfelt thanks for their continued confidence in the work of our faculty, staff and students at WVU.”

In 2010, Van Scoy and business partner Michael Bodnar, a 1969 B&E graduate, donated a restaurant to the business school. Taziki’s Mediterranean Caf�, part of the Fresh Hospitality company in which the two are principals, subsequently opened in the WVU Mountainlair, with all net profits going to the business school’s Hospitality & Tourism program.

Given their passions for entrepreneurship, hospitality and B&E, the $1.5 million gift from the Van Scoys will be divided three ways: one-third to the WVU Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, housed in the College of Business and Economics; one-third to B&E’s Hospitality & Tourism Program, which operates in the Management Department; and one-third to the B&E Dean’s Discretionary Fund “to enable Dean (Zito) Sartarelli to pursue opportunities for the University and state,” Van Scoy said.

“Given the proper resources, there is no doubt in my mind we can become a top 50 business school,” Van Scoy said, “and that would certainly provide further help to open doors for our students.”

“This gift truly encompasses the generosity of the Van Scoys, and we are so fortunate to be associated with them,” said Sartarelli, Milan Puskar Dean, WVU College of Business and Economics. “Doug is the chairman of B&E’s Capital Campaign, donated a restaurant to this College and worked to help develop our Hospitality & Tourism program. He immediately rolled up his sleeves to dive into this capital campaign when I asked him to be the B&E national campaign chairman. Since I came here two years ago, Doug has been unwavering in his efforts to help this College, and I am truly humbled by this generous gift from Doug and Pam — and their continual giving.”

“Pam and I are privileged to be both charitable and grateful for what we have,” said Van Scoy. “We feel like giving back and sharing is part of that privilege, and we are very happy to do it.”

The Van Scoys are both from Bridgeport, W.Va., and WVU graduates. They call Charleston, S.C., home now, but also have a home in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va.

The contribution was made in conjunction with A State of Minds: The Campaign for West Virginia’s University. The $750 million comprehensive campaign being conducted by the WVU Foundation on behalf of the University runs through December 2015.

For further information on the comprehensive campaign, please visit www.astateofminds.com or www.be.wvu.edu .

pg/06/13/12

Check http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/ daily for the latest news from the University.