Jessica Peacock, a sport and exercise psychology doctoral student in West Virginia University’s College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences, has received an American Kinesiology Association graduate student writing award for 2011.

The award honors a select number of students who have published a paper in a peer-reviewed scholarly journal. Peacock was nominated Dr. Sam Zizzi, associate professor in the CPASS sport and exercise psychology major.

“I was honored to find out I won the student writing award from the AKA,” Peacock said. “It meant a lot to me that my advisor, Dr. Zizzi, felt my writing was of high quality to nominate me. And then to win was a fantastic validation of the hard work I have put into my research here at WVU.”

Peacock’s article was considered on a national level and served as an example of outstanding graduate student research or scholarship, according to the AKA.

“This is a program of excellence and includes only our brightest students who work very hard on a consistent basis,” said Dr. Zizzi. “This truly shows the great quality of our PhD students, as well as raises the research profile of the College.”

The AKA review committee noted that Peacock’s paper clearly met the selection criteria for the award and will make a significant contribution to the literature in the field of kinesiology.

The AKA, an organization of more than 120 kinesiology departments found in colleges and universities nationwide, promotes and enhances kinesiology as a unified field of study and works to advance its many applications. West Virginia University is an active member of the American Kinesiology Association.

5/4/11

Check http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/ daily for the latest news from the University.Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.

CONTACT: Kimberly Cameon, College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences
304-293-0827, Kimberly.Cameon@mail.wvu.edu