Three students who will join the elite ranks within the Sport and Exercise Psychology doctoral program at West Virginia University have already made their mark. They have each been awarded University Fellowships to help ensure their research and academic success in WVU’s College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences.

Leigh Bryant received the prestigious Arlen G. and Louise Swiger Fellowship=. The Swiger fellowship is designed to recruit highly competitive doctoral candidates to WVU and provides a $22,000 per year stipend.

Only four Swiger Fellowships are awarded each year to entering doctoral students at WVU.

“In my role as a Swiger Fellow, I will be applying my communication and interpersonal skills in the classroom this fall when I teach,” Bryant said. “The Swiger Fellowship closely matches what I believe is my ultimate professional goal.”

SEP doctoral students Ashley Coker and Michael Berrebi each received a Provost Fellowship, which provides a $16,000 annual stipend. The Provost Fellowship allows recipients to focus on establishing research, scholarship or creative endeavors. Twenty Provost Fellowships are made available each year to all entering doctoral students at WVU.

“For the SEP program to have all three of its entering doctoral students receive University Fellowships speaks volumes about the quality of the program and the students that it is recruiting,” said Dr. Jack Watson, department chair of sport sciences, CPASS.
“These students are obviously the cream of the crop when it comes to academic accomplishments and potential,” he added.

Selection criteria are based upon academic merit and potential for success in graduate or professional study.

For more information, contact Dr. Jack Watson at Jack.Watson@mail.wvu.edu.

04/21/11

Check http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/ daily for the latest news from the University. Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.

CONTACT: Kimberly Cameon, CPASS
304-293-0827, Kimberly.Cameon@mail.wvu.edu