West Virginia University senior Nick Rubenstein was raised to do as much as possible in life.

“My mom has always pushed me to be an active person in all aspects of life,” he said. “It all boils down to the idea that life is too short to not take advantage of every moment.”

That is why the chemistry, biology and biochemistry major is busy from morning to night every day with academic, extracurricular, volunteer and job obligations.

“It is good preparation for the real world. Outside of college you don’t get to sleep until noon and then go to class and hang out all afternoon,” he said.

Click below to hear Rubenstein share his WVU experience.

[ Click to listen ]

Rubenstein, of Capon Bridge, spends a lot of his time in the chemistry lab, where he is performing biological research on reactive oxygen species, chemically-reactive molecules containing oxygen. The research can be applied in a lot of areas, including the medical field.

“Someday it will be able to be used to figure out which cells are cancerous, which cells are being targeted by cancer drugs and how healthy and infected cells react differently to treatments and other factors,” he said.

When he is not working diligently in the lab or in class, he is the president of the WVU Interfraternity Council and a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity. His position on the council keeps him busy organizing and managing the activities of all 15 fraternities and eight sororities on WVU’s campus.

Rubenstein has also been a member of a host of other student organizations, and is currently active in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. His membership in such organizations keep his weekends busy with community service. He has been involved in March to College Day, a program designed to get young children interested in college, Morgantown street cleanings and the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life, among other things.

To top it all off, he helps support himself by working a part-time job at a local pharmacy.

Fitting in everything he has to do in a day, requires a lot of time management.

“I am very careful. I have lists everywhere. I feel a little psychotic sometimes with all my lists,” he said. “I plan out what I have to do each day to complete the goals I have set for myself each week.”

He attributes his good time management skills to being a fraternity member.

“You learn very quickly how to manage your time to fulfill your academic and fraternity obligations,” he said.

Overall, he feels like his busy life is good preparation for his future career of choice – medicine.

“I hear doctors don’t sleep much,” he said.

Growing up with two brothers that were close in age, Rubenstein spent a lot of time in the doctor’s office. He got to know his pediatrician who also did a lot of community service in the area, and participated in Doctors Without Borders – something Rubenstein hopes to do in the future.

“It is one thing to help people in America, where the quality of life is at a certain point and the majority of people have access to care whether they can afford it or not,” he said. “In third world and developing nations they don’t have that option. I feel like it would be really nice to be able to help these people in any way that I could.”

Rubenstein credits his hectic college life to the WVU experience.

“WVU is living up to the reputation of being the best time of your life,” he said. “I have gotten to meet more people than I ever thought I ever would and I have access to great opportunities. I have been exposed to the world outside of Capon Bridge.”

Coming to WVU is something that Rubenstein always knew was going to be his destiny. Being a Mountaineer is something that runs in his family.

His uncle, aunt and older brother are all WVU graduates.

“I have been watching Mountaineer basketball and football since I have been able to walk,” he said.

Rubenstein is currently in the process of applying to medical school. He will graduate in May of 2012.

By Colleen DeHart
WVU University Relations/News

cd/03/30/11

CONTACT: University Relations/News
304-293-6997