Eight of West Virginia University’s top graduating seniors were awarded the Order of Augusta, the university’s most prestigious student honor, during the Weekend of Honors convocation ceremony tonight (April 11).

The West Virginia University Foundation established the Order of Augusta in 1995 to recognize a highly select group of students based upon their superior scholarship, demonstrated leadership and record of community and public service. A private non-profit corporation, the WVU Foundation generates, receives and administers private gifts for the benefit of the University.

The 2003 recipients are Stephanie A. Ballard of Morgantown; Keisha-Morae Hopkins of Bluefield; Christina K. Lettieri of Weirton; Erin K. Master of Reedsville; Johnny R. Shields of Stonewood; Stephanie D. Taylor of Clarksburg; Jill A. Thomas of Beaver; and Kavara S. Vaughn of Morgantown.

“The Order of Augusta is the most significant honor a West Virginia University senior can attain,”said F. Duke Perry, president of the WVU Foundation.”During their undergraduate years at WVU , these eight remarkable students have demonstrated the University’s highest ideals through their hard work and contributions to the campus community. We are proud to recognize them for their many accomplishments.”

WVU President David C. Hardesty Jr. presented each of the recipients with the Augusta medallion. In addition, each honoree’s name will be inscribed on a plaque located on the Ernest L. Hogan Scholars Walk in front of the Downtown Library Complex. They also become members of WVU ’s Honor Roll, a compilation of student, faculty, staff and alumni award winners being honored throughout the weekend.

The Order of Augusta was so named for its historical significance in the state. Augusta was among the original names considered by the Legislature when the state seceded from Virginia in 1863. Also, the District of Augusta was the original name for a large area in what is now the northern region of West Virginia, including Monongalia County.

Recipients of the Order of Augusta are selected from 30 WVU Foundation Outstanding Seniors, who also were recognized today for their achievements in scholarship, leadership and service.

Order of Augusta Honorees

Stephanie A. Ballard, Morgantown

Stephanie A. Ballard will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in journalism. She said she wants to put the education she received from WVU to good use.

“Too many people simply hang their diplomas on their office walls without really applying their knowledge in a positive way,”Ballard said.”I want to use my knowledge and experience in public relations to improve life for the people of West Virginia.

“I hope to intertwine my education with my interest in economic development to improve the position of our state and its citizens, while ensuring that our basic principles are left intact,”Ballard added.”The nation is just starting to accurately see what our state has to offer, and I want to be there as it continues to shine.”

Ballard is a member of Golden Key National Honor Society, National Society of Collegiate Scholars and the Public Relations Student Society of America. She also completed an internship with the West Virginia State Legislature in 2002.

She has volunteered with the United Way, the American Cancer Center’s annual Relay for Life, and has spoken to students at local high schools about what to expect during their college experience.

Ballard says that she has rediscovered the value of family at WVU . She also notes that she has realized the genuine family-like relationships that unite not only those teaching and learning at WVU , but also all West Virginians. . She is the daughter of Steven and Deborah Ballard.

Keisha-Morae Hopkins, Bluefield

Keisha-Morae Hopkins will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in English and a master’s degree in secondary education. She says that she strongly values the learning experiences at West Virginia University that have prepared her for the world outside of college.

“I am going to miss the people I have met, the opportunities I have had, the residents I have influenced , and the professors I have interacted with as a student, but I will never forget the value of my WVU experience,”Hopkins said.”I will be able to proudly say that I am a graduate of WVU , and I have achieved and earned the most rewarding, fulfilling, and eye opening education at this great institution.”

One of the most memorable experiences that Hopkins had at WVU was a trip to London for one of her English classes. During the week-long stay, she saw William Shakespeare’s birthplace, Mary Arden’s farmhouse, Anne Hathaway’s cottage and The Globe Theatre. Her goal of this trip was to broaden her understanding of England, the Elizabethan Era and Shakespeare. Hopkins has been an active member in both the community and WVU , devoting her time to helping the WVU Children’s Hospital, Angel Tree, Salvation Army and Bartlett House (for the homeless). At WVU , she has been a resident assistant in Brooke Tower, also responsible for the”Brooke Tower Newsletter,”and served as a teaching assistant for an orientation class.

Hopkins was named the grand prize winner in the poetry division of the Waitman Barbe Creative Writing Contest in the spring of 2001. She has also been active in Golden Key National Honor Society, National Society of Collegiate Scholars and Sigma Tau Delta (International English Honor Society).

She plans to become a high school English teacher. Hopkins is the daughter of Cassandra Hopkins.

Christina K. Lettieri, Weirton

Christina K. Lettieri will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in biology. She credits much of her success at WVU to the challenging classes that the school has to offer.

Lettieri has been involved with WVU Circle K International, Association for Women in Science Affiliation, St. John’s Parish of Morgantown, Golden Key National Honor Society and National Society of Collegiate Scholars. She has also volunteered at WVU Children’s Hospital.

Lettieri says her most significant contribution while at WVU was her role as a mentor. She became a mentor during her sophomore year through a community Big Brothers/Big Sisters program. She was also involved as a mentor for WVU students. She especially enjoyed a Orientation II class where she helped a class of honors freshmen get familiar with their new University surroundings.

She has been the recipient of many awards and scholarships including the National H&R Block Scholarship, the Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarship and the Phi Kappa Phi Outstanding Freshman Scholar.

“The purpose of life, I believe, is to live one’s life to his or her fullest; to wake up each day and utilize the talent given to one that no one else can offer,”Lettieri said.”After experiencing these four enriching years of life at WVU , I am prepared to do just that.”

“Although it may take a lifetime to figure out my true purpose in life, I am assured daily that I live a life of purpose,”Lettieri added. Lettieri is the daughter of Don and Sandy Lettieri.

Erin K. Master, Reedsville

Erin K. Master will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in animal and veterinary science.

“After investigating a few other schools, I chose WVU because of the strong pre-veterinary program, and the warm welcome that I received,”Master said.

“I am certain that I made the right decision by choosing WVU for my undergraduate career,”she added.”I have gained an exemplary education, met extraordinary people and broadened my horizon.”

During college, she has been an active member of the equestrian team, Pre-Vet Club and Sports Club Federation, and has volunteered with West Virginia Special Olympics, Paw Prints Veterinary Clinic and the Salvation Army.

Master has earned many academic honors, including induction into Golden Key International Honor Society, consistent inclusion on the President’s (4.0) List and membership in the select WVU Honors Program. She was also the recipient of the WVU Presidential Scholarship and the Davis-Michael Scholarship.

Master plans on pursuing her education by attending veterinary school.

“For as long as I can remember, I have dreamed of becoming a veterinarian,”Master said.”I know that the education I have received from WVU is an essential part of achieving my dream.”

She is daughter of David and Sara Master.

Johnny R. Shields, Stonewood

Johnny R. Shields will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in industrial and management systems engineering.

Shields has been involved in the WVU Student Board of Governors, WVU recycling committee, Newman Club, Institute of Industrial Engineers and American Society of Cost Engineers.

He has also been a resident assistant and a member of the Mountaineer Maniacs athletic boosters club.

Shields was a finalist for Mr. Mountaineer, and was awarded the President’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship. He was also selected for the Engineering Honor Society and is a member of Golden Key National Honor Society.

Last semester, Shields interviewed with both General Electric and IBM about possible job opportunities. After the interviews, Shields was the number one choice of all applicants for the General Electric Accelerated Management Program and was only one of three applicants offered a job with IBM ’s Accelerated Management Program.

“I cannot put a value on my education here at WVU ,”Shields said.”I have changed so much as a person because of the experiences that I have had in the past four years. I have learned many things about who I am, and what I want to do with my life.”

“Johnny was the spiritual heart of the classhis attitude and expectations set the tone for the entire class,”said Boyd F. Edwards, Shields’physics professor in the fall of 2000.”Three years later, I still remember just where and with whom he sat.”Shields is the son of John and Mary Shields.

Stephanie D. Taylor, Clarksburg

Stephanie D. Taylor will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in journalism (news-editorial). Taylor is the founder of the WVU Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism’s mentoring program that began in the fall of 2002. She has also taken part in student government and is a member of Golden Key International Honor Society. Taylor has been named to the national Dean’s List and consistently makes the WVU President’s List. She is a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and has been awarded many scholarships through the WVU School of Journalism.

She has written for The Daily Athenaeum student newspaper and The Shinnston News and Harrison County Journal. She has also interned for various services around campus.Taylor will begin law school at WVU in the fall.

“Through writing for The Daily Athenaeum, I was able to learn about the wonderful things WVU students, faculty and staff accomplish on a daily basis,”Taylor said.”The more I reported about the university, the more uplifting and pride I felt in the school.”

“Stephanie epitomizes the ideal studentone who can use his/her time, talent, tuition, determination, dedication, poise, patience and perseverance to create her destiny while unselfishly serving others,”said Pamela Yagle, associate professor and director of advising for the School of Journalism.”No matter where she goes, her alma mater’s faculty will be proud of her.”

She is the daughter of Michael and Marianne Taylor.

Jill A. Thomas, Beaver

Jill A. Thomas began her college career at the University of North Carolina, but transferred to WVU after her freshman year. Thomas believes that her invaluable undergraduate experience is credited to the warm, welcoming spirit that makes WVU such a unique learning institution.

“Transferring to WVU was the best decision I ever made,”Thomas said.”Since coming to WVU , I have grown immeasurable as a student, leader and person.”

She will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in exercise physiology.

While attending WVU , Thomas has been a member of the WVU dance team, the Kappa Phi Christian sorority and Campus Crusade for Christ. She has volunteered at Raleigh General Hospital, Ruby Memorial Hospital and has tutored elementary students in math, science, spelling and reading. Thomas also studied abroad in Spain for one month in the summer of 2001.

She is the recipient of numerous awards and scholarships, including the Honors Program Scholarship, Little General Stores Scholarship, Black Businessmen’s Association Scholarship, and is consistently on the WVU Dean’s List. She was also named Ms. Mountaineer in 2002. In the fall, Thomas will further her education at the WVU School of Medicine.

“In the future, I hope to maintain a medical practice in the United States and take medical mission trips to undeserved communities, especially Spanish-speaking areas,”Thomas said.”People in these areas need more physicians to provide adequate free or low-cost health care, and I hope to help in this respect.”Thomas is the daughter of John and Karen Thomas.

Kavara S. Vaughn, Morgantown

Kavara S. Vaughn graduated in December of 2002 with a bachelor’s degree in animal and veterinary sciences.

While studying at WVU , Vaughn was an active member of the WVU Honors Program, the varsity cross country team, the indoor/outdoor track teams, Golden Key International Honor Society and the National College of Collegiate Scholars.”I am privileged to be a graduate of the WVU Honors Program,”Vaughn said.”I was truly excited to attend my Honors courses each and every day.”

She has also volunteered at WVU Hospitals, Caritas House, Salvation Army, Ronald McDonald House and the Cheat Lake Animal Hospital.

Vaughn has consistently made the President’s List, was named to the Big East academic all-star team, and has been awarded several scholarships including the Gladys Davis Scholarship and the William B. Maxwell Scholarship.

“I gained a great deal from my participation in clubs and honoraries at WVU ,”Vaughn said.”I acquired leadership and organizational skills by frequently serving as either an officer or committee leader in various organizations.

“I have learned and experienced more than I ever thought possible by taking advantage of what WVU offers in the realm of academics and the numerous activities that I have participated in,”Vaughn said.”My WVU education is the best investment I have ever made.”

Vaughn plans to attend medical school, and reside in Petersburg when her residency training is complete. She is the daughter of Stephen Vaughn and Gayle Shaffer.